VOICE DEVELOPER CONFERENCE
Last Updated: October 12,2023
What Personal Data will Advantest collect about you and how will Advantest use it?
Advantest America, Inc., together with its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively “Advantest”, “we”, “our” or “us” as the context requires) is committed to respecting your privacy. Advantest acknowledges that any information that may be used to identify you as an individual (“Personal Data”) such as your first and last name, street address, email, telephone number, or captured in photos, audio or video footage or recordings, whether in connection with in-person events, as a virtual conference or as a combination of both, is your private information and our intention is to collect, use, store, or otherwise process this information appropriately and lawfully.
Advantest will be the data controller and will use your Personal Data that you have given to us in your registration for and attendance of VOICE for the following purposes:
- Registration process
- Complying with Advantest’s legal or regulatory obligations, especially for trade compliance checks
- To contact you regarding your account, to solve issues with your account or to resolve questions or dispute
- For promotional and marketing purposes
Advantest processes the following data:
- Country of Citizenship
- Country of Residency
- Company Address
- Phone number (optional)
- Job title (optional)
- Photographs, video footage and recordings
- Any information you provide to us within any messages you send to us via our contact email address noted below.
Notice of Rights
If you are an individual based in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or UK, subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) or UK General Data Protection Regulation (“UK GDPR”), we undertake these processing activities:
- as necessary to achieve our legitimate interests,
- as necessary to comply with applicable laws and regulations, or
- with your specific and informed consent (including by way of the opt-in in the registration process).
When relying on legitimate interests we make sure to consider and balance any potential impacts on you (both positive and negative) and your rights before we process your Personal Data. We do not use your Personal Data for activities where our interests are overridden by any adverse impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to do so by applicable law).
Where we rely on your consent, you have the right to withdraw it anytime in by contacting us at the privacy contact email address, below, in the “Contacting Advantest” section. Withdrawing consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing undertaken before such withdrawal.
If you are a California resident, for more information about your privacy rights, please see our California Consumer Privacy Act Notice at https://www.advantest.com/privacy-policy-ca.html. Advantest reserves the right to modify our California Consumer Privacy Act Notice from time to time as may be required to comply with applicable laws.
Photographs and Video Footage
Advantest will take photographs and video recordings or images of attendees (including speakers, employees, partners and external attendees) at VOICE.
Advantest (or the professional photographers or virtual platform provider it engages) will take photographs and video footage or recordings at VOICE, such as at welcoming events, on the expo floor, at sessions, evening networking events and at award ceremonies.
Advantest will only use your photograph or any video recording or footage which features you to promote its VOICE conferences, such as on the VOICE website, in its email communications and newsletters about the VOICE conferences and to promote and communicate about these events. Advantest may upload photographs and video recordings or footage to its social media pages which promote its VOICE conferences (for example, on Facebook, LinkedIn, X (formerly Twitter), YouTube, Instagram and WeChat (China)). It may also use the photographs in its flyers and posters to promote its VOICE conferences and on signage for these events.
In limited cases, Advantest may use your name in conjunction with your photograph—for example, names of award winners and speakers and to publish captions in its internal newsletters. If you have agreed for us to take video footage or recordings of you, the Personal Data collected may also include your name, job role/title, the company you work for and any other Personal Data you disclose during the video.
The legal basis for the use of the Personal Data described above, is that it is in Advantest’s legitimate interests to collect and use such Personal Data, for the limited purposes identified above or that it has obtained the consent of the individual(s) involved, for example, to take video footage of specific individuals. Where Advantest relies on your consent, you can withdraw your consent at any time, by contacting Advantest using the details set out below. If you withdraw your consent, Advantest will stop using your Personal Data unless otherwise permitted under applicable laws. This means that Advantest will stop using video footage or recording identifying you in any new promotions, but will not be able to withdraw footage or a recording that is already in circulation.
The photographs/videos will only be used at Advantest by its marketing communications team who may share them with its vendors who may provide photography, graphic design and similar services in relation to their use in Advantest’s promotions. All vendors will be required to only use the photographs/videos for the purposes of providing their services to Advantest and to keep them secure. Further details about the vendors used can be obtained from Advantest by contacting it using the details provided below. The photographs and videos may also be shared with conference attendees on the VOICE mobile app, through the VOICE virtual platform and on social media as set out above, which may be accessed worldwide.
How Do We Share Personal Data?
We do not share, sell or otherwise disclose the Personal Data that you provide us with other organizations without your express consent, except under the following circumstances:
- Compliance with laws, regulators, authorities and other third parties. We may share Personal Data with regulators, courts and other authorities (e.g., tax and law enforcement authorities), for legal, protection, and safety purposes, including compliance with applicable laws and regulations, requests from regulators or other authorities, and court orders.
- Business partners and vendors. We may share information with those who need your information to perform their work or services for us or on our behalf.
- For marketing. We may share your Personal Data for the purposes described in the “Photographs and Video Footage” section above.
- With affiliates. We may share your information with our affiliates, in which case we will require those affiliates to honor this Privacy Notice. Affiliates may include other companies that we control or that are under common control with us. You can find Advantest affiliated companies here.
International Transfers of Personal Data
Your Personal Data may be transferred to or from the United States or other locations outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction.
We will take steps that are reasonably necessary to ensure that your Personal Data is treated securely and appropriately safeguarded in accordance with this Privacy Notice and applicable data protection or privacy laws.
Please contact us at the privacy contact email address, below, in the “Contacting Advantest” section if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your Personal Data out of the EEA or United Kingdom.
Storage of Your Personal Data
Your Personal Data will be stored by Advantest in the United States. We employ appropriate technical and organizational measures designed to protect the security of all information submitted to us in connection with VOICE. These measures are aimed at ensuring the ongoing integrity and confidentiality of Personal Data.
Retention of Personal Data
We retain your Personal Data only for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice and to the extent permitted by applicable legal requirements—e.g., statutory retention periods.
Notice of Rights to Individuals Who Are Subject to the GDPR/UK GDPR:
Advantest America, Inc., and its affiliated companies in Europe are jointly responsible for Personal Data processed by European affiliates for VOICE and have concluded joint controller agreements. These agreements specify the responsibilities for data protection among the relevant Advantest companies. You may enforce your rights under the GDPR/UK GDPR against both Advantest America, Inc. and its European affiliates.
Where the GDPR/UK GDPR apply to your Personal Data, you may have the right (subject to certain limitations) to:
- request access to your Personal Data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the Personal Data which Advantest holds about you and to check that Advantest is lawfully processing it;
- require Advantest to correct/complete incorrect or incomplete data its holds about you;
- request erasure of your Personal Data. This enables you to require Advantest to delete or stop processing your data, for example where the data is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing. You also have the right to ask Advantest to delete or remove your Personal Data where you have exercised your right to object to processing;
- request the transfer of your Personal Data to another party; and
- request the restriction of processing of your Personal Data, for example, if you want to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
You may also have the right to object to the processing of your Personal Data where Advantest is relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground.
Advantest will strive to process your Personal Data in accordance with the applicable legal obligations, but if you would like to submit a complaint about our use or other processing of your Personal Data or response to your requests regarding your Personal Data, you may contact us using the contact details set out in the “Contacting Advantest” section below. If you are still unhappy with how Advantest has used your Personal Data, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the appropriate regulatory body/supervisory authority.
If you have any queries, comments or requests regarding this Privacy Notice or you would like to exercise any of your rights set out above, you can contact Advantest in the following ways:
by post/regular mail at:
c/o Information Security Committee
1-6-2 Shin Marunouchi
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-0005, Japan
Contact email address for the Data Protection Officer of Advantest Europe GmbH: DPO@advantest.com
The supervisory authorities for data protection responsible for our entities in Europe are:
Bayerischer Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz (BayLfD)
CNIL Commission Nationale de l'Informatique et des Libertés
Garante per la Protezione die Dati Personali
Information Commissioner’s Office